A person’s reaction to mold exposure in Saugus depends entirely on their health status. Those with pre-existing health issues could experience anything from chronic sinus infections to Candida to life-threatening myocarditis from exposure to toxic mold, while the most robust among us oftentimes experience nothing but a productive sneeze. Age is also a factor since human cells lose their regenerative abilities as we grow older. Needless to say, the elderly will certainly be at greater risk than the youth, but what about infants and toddlers? What are the black mold symptoms in babies?
What is Black Mold?
Black mold is a fungus whose Latin or scientific name is Stachybotrys chartarum. It is most commonly found in spaces that are damp or have experienced water damage. It consumes cellulose, which means that it can live on surfaces and materials such as wallpaper, drywall, wood, any paper-based products, and more. Basically, if it is organic and decaying, black mold in Saugus is absolutely delighted to make its acquaintance.
Contrary to popular belief, black mold is more of a very dark green in color—but to the naked eye, it generally appears black.
Like most molds, black mold has a distinct musty smell, but the majority of encounters are described as “earthy,” “pungent,” “stifling,” “gag-worthy,” and “the equivalent of sweaty gym socks.” In high concentrations, the smell alone is capable of making someone throw up and/or develop a sudden and intense headache.
What’s more, black mold produces high quantities of mold spores which, in turn, produce mycotoxins. These mycotoxins are capable of inducing mild to severe to even deadly symptoms in people of all health statuses and ages.
Mold spores cannot be produced in mold growth that has not fully developed, which is why it’s important to prevent mold from not only growing, but reproductively maturing.
Preventing Black Mold Growth
While black mold is one of the toughest molds on the planet, it is rarely found out in nature. Instead, it is commonplace in homes and other buildings, especially when water damage, dampness, and high humidity is a factor.
Like any other mold, black mold in Saugus relies heavily on moisture, a food source (decaying organic materials), warmer temperatures, a lack of direct sunlight, and adequate oxygen levels. To prevent black mold from growing, one simply has to control the environment and reduce the chance of fulfilling its needs.
Prevention will always involve regular cleaning and maintenance of the home’s spaces, as well as consistent evaluations of the status and durability of various parts of the home’s structure, such as the roof and plumbing. Aside from regular cleaning and consistent maintenance, controlling the temperature and humidity levels by way of the thermostat and the use of a dehumidifier is definitely one of the most beneficial preventative actions one can take overall.
Black Mold Symptoms in Humans
As stated earlier, black mold symptoms present differently from one individual to the next. A healthy immune system will easily thwart off the repercussions of a temporary and short-lived encounter with black mold. A low-functioning immune system, however, could present long-term exposure symptoms after only a short-term exposure. In the end, the severity of someone’s reaction still depends mainly on their health status.
That said, symptoms are generally consistent across the board in all age groups and can be broken down into two categories: short-term exposure symptoms and long-term exposure symptoms.
Short-Term Exposure to Black Mold Symptoms:
- a long, painful headache
- a tightening in the chest
- burning sensations in airways
- difficulty breathing
- fits of sneezing
- nose bleeds
- skin irritation
- stuffy nose
- watery or itchy eyes